Google
 

Monday, December 10, 2007

The Asus Eee PC


Now that’s what laptops were invented for, right? Computing power anytime, anywhere. Lugging around a 15-inch MacBook Pro isn’t quite my idea of how to best digest my RSS feeds while doing my thing, though. Thankfully with my latest gadget I won’t have to worry about getting a $2,500 device wet and rusty.


The Asus Eee PC, the two-pound $400 wonder. Sure most modern laptops today will run circles around the Eee in terms of specs but this baby has hit the sweet spot in terms of price, portability, features and functionality.

The Eee measures just 10 inches diagonally and runs on a 900 MHz Celeron-M processor with 512MB of RAM and a 4 GB solid-state drive. It has three USB 2.0 ports, a VGA-out port, built-in mic and stereo speakers, MMC/SD slot and a webcam. Battery lasts three and a half hours.
Sure, it’s not top of the line in terms of specs, but again at $400 and at 2 pounds, it is worth considering, isn’t it?

Most other brand laptops close to this size will be more powerful and with more features, but also the closest competitor costs four times more. And at $400, the Eee is an Internet-ready computer with a light and fast operating system (Linux-based). Good enough for blogging anywhere there’s a WiFi connection. Perfect for those in the blogging biz like me.
I can now bring a full-fledged computer anywhere without breaking my back—and the bank.
So am I really blogging from the bathroom? Well, my home WiFi signal does reach to the bathroom, but to be honest I’d rather not read my RSS list while sitting on the throne. Too much crap can be a bad thing.


No comments: